Monday, July 9, 2012

Power Outage and Heat Wave

Well, the title says it all. Last week we were in the middle of the major storm that produced 85 mph winds and caused havoc all over the area. We were without power for 6 days.  This experience did open my eyes about something, surviving the summer. In general I prep more for the long cold Ohio winter months. I always concerned myself more about the winter than the summer. I guess I figured the winters require a good reliable heat source and plenty of stored food in order to get through it. Well, this past week was a new experience for me. Not only was there a major power outage, there was also a heat wave that produced temperatures up to 100 degrees, with humidity! This heat wave went on day after day. During the power outage I heard people say over and over that they would prefer an outage in the winter over the summer months, I must say, I agree! We even had a generator that we shared with a neighbor and powered refrigerators and a few window air conditioners.
Within 24 hours of the outage, the local gas station, which was one of the few that was opened, was out of gas. There were no bags of ice to be found in the county. People were raiding the local Lowes for flashlights, batteries, and of course generators. Being that we live in a rural area where most wells are ran using electricity, there was also an immediate shortage of water. All within 24 hours.  Unlike blizzards and hurricanes where people have plenty of warning and an opportunity to stock up on supplies, this storm had little warning. I follow local weather pretty closely and this storm was not shown as a threat until 30 minutes before it hit, no one was prepared.
It felt good to know we were just fine with supplies. We had plenty of water, food, lights, batteries, etc.  We were able to wade around in the pond to cool off. Our bodies are not accustomed to  working in 100 degree temperatures, but after a few days I found my body adjusting to the environment. It did not seem as unbearable to be outside. I am not sure how to prep for a heat wave without power. Of course there is the generator and gas. But I always wanted to be prepared without them. I guess I figured that even with the generator, gas is not an endless resource and generators should not be fully relied upon to be there. They can break, be stolen, etc.
I did decide that I could never have enough batteries. My favorite prepper item was my Coleman LED lantern.  It takes 4 DD Duracell batteries and I never changed the batteries the whole time. We used it every night. The lantern has only one LED light bulb, but it lights up the whole room. I will be purchasing more of these in the future. We have propane lanterns but I always worry about my young children around them. This lantern also has a "night light" feature. It give off just a small amount of light, just enough to make the kids feel safe while they sleep. The kids carried this lantern around outside, they even dropped it a few times, but nothing happened to it. It was definitely invaluable during this outage.




No comments:

Post a Comment